Victoria Theatre Association’s (VTA) One Small Voice: Women Who Rock contest helps aspiring female singer-songwriters in the Dayton region to find and use their musical voices as a creative force in the world. Selected participants will complete a month-long boot camp experience which will immerse them in the music industry, culminating in the creation of a signature song which participants will both professionally record and share live. One Small Voice: Women Who Rock will serve a multi-generational group of up to 20 female participants ages 13 and up in the Dayton region. Participants will be selected through a video submission process.
This project was inspired by BEAUTIFUL – THE CAROLE KING MUSICAL (at the Schuster Center May 22-27, 2018) which centers around Carole King’s real-life journey from writing songs with her then-husband (Gerry Goffin) for other artists to finding her own voice as a solo artist after her marriage ended. This project aims to give women the confidence to find and use their musical voices as a creative force in the world.
Below is a brief overview of the contest’s rules and audition guidelines. For a full version of the official rules governing the contest, please click here to download the complete rules PDF. Since some rules may not be covered by this overview, VTA strongly encourages all entrants to review the full version of the official rules before entering. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
1) Eligibility: Musicians who identify as female, ages 13 and up, and who are currently living in the Dayton region as legal U.S. residents. Employees of the Victoria Theatre Association and their immediate family members are not eligible to participate.
2) Contest Period: Entries to the contest will be accepted between February 5, 2018 through March 5, 2018 at 5 p.m. (EST). LATE ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Limit one (1) entry per person.
3) Submission Form: All entrants must complete, electronically sign, and submit a contest submission form provided by the VTA. During the contest period, the submission form will be available electronically on the VTA’s website, and entrants shall be responsible for completing the form and submitting it to Sponsor electronically. All entrants who are under eighteen (18) years of age at the time of entry MUST print off and submit to Sponsor a separate consent form signed by an appropriate parent or legal guardian in order to be eligible.
4) Video Auditions: As part of the submission form, entrants must provide an internet address URL that links to the entrant’s video audition. Auditions must be 60-90 seconds in length and must consist of the entrant singing and accompanying herself in a song of her choice. Entrants must perform solo in the video audition. Music in the audition may either be played live or be pre-recorded. However, if the music is pre-recorded, then the music must have been originally performed by the entrant. Original music written and/or created by the entrant is encouraged but not required. Video auditions must be uploaded to an online media platform that the VTA will be able to access publically (such as Facebook, YouTube, Dropbox, Vimeo, or Instagram) and each entrant is solely responsible with ensuring that her video audition is readily accessible at the internet address URL provided in the submission form without any further privileges to gain access. No DVDs or other physical copies of an entrant’s video audition will be accepted.
5) Selection of Winners: Up to twenty (20) winners will be selected from among all eligible entries received. Winners will be chosen by a panel of industry professionals chosen by the VTA based on the following criteria: (i) the entrant’s unique artistic voice; (ii) the entrant’s original interpretation of submitted material—imitations of other musicians are not encouraged; (iii) the entrant’s performance quality, such as intonation, vocal technique, tone, rhythmic integrity, and musicianship; (iv) the entrant’s ability to accompany herself; and (v) the entrant’s fit and synergy with the other selected winners.
6) Prizes: Each of the selected winners will receive the following prizes: (i) complimentary participation in six (6) workshop sessions taught by industry professionals in which the selected winner will be taught how to compose, record, and perform an original song; (ii) complimentary studio time in which the selected winner will be given an opportunity to record and perform an original song; and (iii) two (2) complimentary tickets to BEAUTIFUL – THE CAROLE KING MUSICAL at the Schuster Center on May 24, 2018.
7) Obligations of Winners: All selected winners are required to attend all workshop sessions, to be held within the city of Dayton, on the following dates and times:
Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6-10 p.m.
Thursday, April 19, 2018 6-10 p.m.
Friday, April 20, 2018 6-10 p.m.
Tuesday, April 24, 2018 6-10 p.m.
Thursday, April 26, 2018 6-10 p.m.
Further, all selected winners must attend BEAUTIFUL-THE CAROLE KING MUSICAL at the Schuster Center on Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 8 p.m. (EST) and be available for a talkback with the cast after the show. Winners may be asked to perform their original song and/or speak about their experience in the contest or as a musician in public or for the media.
8) Releases: Winners will be required to sign video, medical, and liability release forms before participating in any of the prizes.
9) Publicity: By submitting a contest entry, each entrant grants permission to the VTA to use the entrant’s submitted audition videos for advertising, marketing, and trade purposes. No submissions will be sold. The acceptance of any prize (whether partial or in full) by a winner will allow the VTA to use the selected winner’s name, voice, statements, image and likeness, including any postings, photos, performances, songs, lyrics, compositions, or videos made, created, written, or performed by the winner in connection with the contest or the winner’s participation in any prize.